mardi 7 juin 2011

Prodigal author




I just finished reading Prodigal Summer by Barbara Kingsolver. I luuuurve this writer. Really.
Everytime I discover a book written by her, the same thing happens.


Actually I should start with the beginning. I read The Bean Trees years ago. In french I think. Rediscovered it years later. Then years later again, I came across Pigs in Heaven (in english. By then I had become a snob and sworn to read english authors in english only.) I realised after a few chapters that the main characters reminded me of another book. I made the link (it's the sequel to The Bean Trees) and decided I really liked the author.
Searched a bit in my local french library's english book section and found The Poisonwood Bible. A bit daunting to say the least, it's enormous, it takes place in Africa, which scares me a bit (don't ask...) and was described as 'her masterpiece'.
Sure enough once I got past the prologue (believe it or not, I read it 5 or 6 times over a few weeks before I understood it!!!) I was hooked. That was two years ago. 


Then my library came up with some more, and I just finished The Prodigal Summer. Took me a while to start it, but once I got into it, I did not resurface until I finished reading it. I am (a little bit) a compulsive reader.


My favourite part ... well actually I can't share it with you. You see, it is the end. The end for one of the 3 characters, and it is so full of humour, of love that I can't help but laugh when I think about it. 
So there, you are going to have to read it if you want to know.


I learned that predators are a good thing and that one predator is worth many preys, it's not a one-to-one balance in terms of life-saving, life-protecting. And that honeysuckle can be a pain, it grows so fast and overtakes everything... So things are not always what they look like... I learned a lot, actually!!!


Ahem, I also suddenly learnt why women are so much more attractive over a few days every month and realised that was why I had so much fun at this wedding we went to 10 days ago. Believe it or not, I never knew...!


And now I am off trying to find a picture of honeysuckle to add to this post.


a bit later... no honeysuckle around here. So I just took a picture of these flowers that are threatening to take over our entire tiny garden. 



But I can't bear to cut them, they are too pretty. See how many are waiting to bloom? And by the way, if someone was kind enough to tell me what they are, I would be very grateful...

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire